Smith Official DNA Project

Smith Official DNA Project at FamilyTreeDNA-All Locations

Photos

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 ... 1753» Next»     » Slide Show

Loading...





Elk Garden Fort

Ericus Smith was stationed at Elk Garden Fort from 13 August to 18 November, 1774.

This fort was located just south of State Route 19, on land now owned by the Stuart Land and Cattle Company, and in the general vicinity of the Elk Garden Methodist Church. Just who owned the land on which the old fort stood has not been ascertained, but those owning land in the immediate vicinity of the fort was Captain John Dunkin, Captain John Kinkead, Richard Price and Solomon Litton. That it was a stockaded fort is beyond question, but as to its size and shape nothing is known.

No record has been found of an actual Indian assault directly upon the Elk Garden Fort though it is very possible there was such, as many people were killed and captured in the Elk Garden section from 1774 to the end of Indian depredations which ceased with the slaying of the half-breed Chief Benge in 1794. The fort was manned throughout this period by militia.

Andrew Lyman who filed his pension application in Bath Co., Ky. in 1834, says:

"In 1776, I entered the service under Captain John Kinkead and marched immediately to the station called Elk Garden, and as the object of our service was to keep down the Indians, we were put to repairing and fixing up the station." The statement of Lyman shows that although the fort was only two years old, it was in need of repair, which shows that green logs embedded in earth as a stockade soon rot and no doubt, the stockades had to be repaired and rotten logs replaced frequently, as well as repair to the cabins and buildings insided the stockades.


File nameelk garden fort marker.jpg
File Size194.35k
Dimensions820 x 615
Linked toEricus Smith, Sr

» Show All     «Prev «1 ... 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 ... 1753» Next»     » Slide Show